1. The longest living people on earth walk (or bike) almost everywhere they go. Okinawans have the highest life expectancy in the world and heart disease, breast cancer and prostate cancer is rare.
The Okinawa Program, by Bradley J. Willcox, D. Craig Willcox, & Makoto Suzuki,Three Rivers Press; 2002 (This book is widely available at local bookstores)
2. Walking improves mental health.
Walking 45 minutes a day three days a week at 16 minutes per mile improves cogintive functions.
3. Walkers are thinner than drivers.
Neighborhoods with fewer sidewalks and
poor access to public transportation are more like to have residents that are overweight/obese.
4. Walking makes a measurable reduction in emissions AND saves you money.
Calculate your possible emission reduction, savings and calories burned: HERE!
5. Walking can improve your sex life.
(For Men) A brisk 2 mile walk each day can reduce the risk of impotence.
6. Walking will help you sleep better.
Walking has positive long term and short term effects on your sleep.
7. Walking reduces stress.
A brisk 30 minute walk can have the same calming effect of a mild tranquilizer.
8. Walking boosts your immune system.
Studies shows that those who walk are less likely to catch a cold than those who do not walk regularly.
9. Walking makes you happy.
Walking for 30 minutes at least three times a week can reduce symptoms of depression by 47%.
10. Walking improves the community.
Walking increases resident interaction and foot traffic for local businesses.